Sunday, March 19, 2017

Abuela bruja comes alive

I have finally created the photo of our main character's lover that will be used in the picture frame and the locket. After researching online I found this tutorial on Alfoart.com that explains step by step how  to create an aging effect on Adobe Photoshop. I did use this as a tool to guid me, but being in AP photo has taught me a trick or two.

To make sure that having this photo would make sense in the first place we researched the date that the first photograph ever was taken. According to the Harry Ransom Center, "The First Photograph, or more specifically, the earliest known surviving photograph made in a camera, was taken by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce in 1826 or 1827." This meant that our main character's lover would've had to take the photograph in the Victorian era (1837-1901). We also wanted to make it apparent in our that the main witch has been extending her life and that despite her youthful appearance, she is over 100 years old. This means we would set their tragic love story around the start of the Victorian Era.

Knowing this, I researched common styles for women in the Victorian era. I found that women's dresses usually covered their chest up to their necks. According to lovetoknow.com, women usually wore "detached collars and under sleeves".
Victorianchildren.org
Luckily in the crevices of the rainforest jungle that is my closet, I had a dress that would fit this look perfectly. I had to wrap a black cloth around my neck and chest and put it under the dress to create the illusion of wearing a detached collar. I also found a pendant to attach to my collar because this was commonly seen in women's fashion.
photographer: Koller Károly
Here is my final product:
When I showed this photo to my grandma she thought it was an old photo of her mom.
My job here is done. 



Fomicheva, Alexandra. ""OLD PHOTO, VINTAGE EFFECT"." Alfoart Graphic & Web Design. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2017. <http://alfoart.com/jaguar_car_1.html>.

Harry Ransom Center. "The First Photograph." Harry Ransom Center The University of Texas at Austin. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2017. <http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/firstphotograph/>.

Károly, Koller. Portrait of a young lady. Digital image. Flickr. Yahoo, 1883. Web. 19 Mar. 2017. <https://www.flickr.com/photos/23912178@N08/7667146620/in/photostream/>.

Price, Paxton. "Victorian Dress and Victorian Style Clothing." Victorian Children. N.p., 8 June 2013. Web. 19 Mar. 2017. <https://victorianchildren.org/victorian-dress-and-victorian-style-clothing/>.

Sandeen, Del. "Victorian Fashion History." LoveToKnow. LoveToKnow Corp, n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2017. <http://womens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/victorian-fashion-history>.

No comments:

Post a Comment